Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bearing a Cross

 The Text is Luke 14:27. So what does bear a cross mean? Pick it up and walk. We get it from one place to another so that an execution can take place, ours. You don't carry it to show off or to parade or to impress or to demonstrate. You carry it to die. A cross had one purpose, i.e. to kill people. By following Jesus who ended up on Golgotha so we end up there. It is our destiny to die-to be consumed by death-death is swallowed up in victory. But we must walk the Via Delorosa. It starts by picking it up, touching that vile instrument of suffering and pain. Why would you? What would make anyone shoulder it? But, He had to-why would we? Do we have to? Perhaps if we do, we have to. No one would unless they had to-I must! But it is heavy and I am not sure I can carry it all the way. What if I stumble? He did. What if I need help? He did. There is no shame. There is only victory in death-death to self. But, people will stare and some might rejoice to see my death, and others might feel sorry for me. What am I to do? Trudge on. Finish. Climb. Get up. Drag it. Push it. Pull it. Do what you have to do to follow Him. Shed blood. Drop sweat. Cry. But, don't stop. There is victory in death. There is resurrection and eternal life on the other side. Rest will come, renewal of strength will be given. But for now-Bear it. This is discipleship. This is our school. This is learning. This is following Him. No turning back. I have decided.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment