Saturday, April 20, 2013

Tribute to Jimmy Hines

A slight detour will be taken to offer a tribute to a man who studied and lived out the mind of Christ, influencing countless people as he moved through one phase of life to another. From his earliest days at Dasher Bible School his reputation grew. By the time I was born Jimmy Hines was a legend. His leadership in the 1949 Georgia state basketball championship propelled him to local stardom. However, this was all against the backdrop of a rough and tumble boy from the streets of Atlanta who came under the discipline of Lacy Elrod, and had some stump-digging blisters to prove it. While in Dasher Jimmy met Sarah Dennard and a lifetime romance began. Four children were born, one tragically taken too young, businesses built, and political influence secured in the state of Louisiana. When I became aware of the name Jimmy Hines in my days at Georgia Christian School it was always spoken with a bit of awe. When his daughter Brenda came to GCS in the Fall of 1968 and Jimmy was Chairman of the Board I began to see and know this family for myself. Some six years later I was now Jimmy's son-in-law, and not a little intimidated by him. By this time he was at the height of his business career with his main pursuits in Costa Rica. Within a couple of years most was lost and he began rebuilding, living in Miami, Orlando, (short stint in Bradenton) and Melbourne before moving back to Louisiana to be close to family. I will not attempt to tell you all of what occurred during the years I called him father-in-law, and knew him best.

But, what I will tell you that I considered Jimmy Hines one of three life-mentors alongside my father and Jon Hazelip. We had to learn to know each other and at times it was not easy. Of course, I was now a competing man in his daughter's life. I know he taught me much. One of the strongest and most enduring lessons was to look at problems as opportunities. He taught me to shrink problems down to size so I could tackle them. He taught me perspective. Things that seemed huge to me he would says "It's not important." Things I worried about, he spent his time with me showing that there is always another move on the board, just look carefully at the board. He never seemed to get stuck in Can't. He always looked for a way to move forward or to walk away if the pursuit was hopeless. But, this "can do" attitude was never of human origin. It was always rooted in faith. He never, at least with me, said he could do anything in his own strength. He always included Jesus in his plans.

Much of what others debated he ignored. But, he was serious about such matters as spiritual warfare. He studied Satan. He wanted to know how he operated so he could through the teachings of Jesus not be outwitted by him. I seriously think Jimmy saw much of his life as a personal battle against Satan. From his earliest beginnings on the streets of Atlanta seeing one man after another come and go from his mother's life, and seeing Satan take one family member after another down, he seemed determined not to become one of Satan's victims. He fought for his own life and the life of his family and friends. His weapons were gifts (how man fruit baskets did he send out?), wisdom, counseling, encouraging words, phone calls, and preaching and teaching. He served as board chairman of two schools, an elder in several churches, a mentor to many, and loving father, husband, and paw paw. He was bigger than life. Any arena he stepped into was changed by his presence and this right up to the room he died in. He controlled the room. He was in charge and he died with dignity and with love.

Jimmy Hines will be missed. It is good that he has a large family of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, because I think it might take all of us to fill his shoes. But most importantly, he died in the Lord, and those who do so can rest in their reward. Goodbye Jimmy. You taught me to say, "I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment