Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sleeping Through Transformation

I have to write next about the "Summit on the Summit," but today our focus is on this transfiguration of Jesus, a unique event in His earthly ministry, though perhaps common-place in the other realm from which He came. First, let us make sure we connect this to what Jesus was talking about 6-8 days earlier. He was telling them about the coming of the Son of Man in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. Surely the anticipation of this coming with such visual effects excited the apostles. Surely they speculated on what this would be like. Now a mere week later, three of them are going to get a taste, if they can stay awake. Luke tells us Jesus came up the mountain to pray, and it was during this prayer that transfiguration happened. But, the disciples were snoozing, just as they would do on the other special occasion in the Garden. The elite three were weak in the flesh. If we are going to be transformed body, soul and spirit, we are going to have to bring this body part of our being into some disciplined submission. The body likes to sleep and eat and "you know what." How many glorified moments on the gridiron have I missed because I was snoozing in my recliner? How many once in a life time moments have I missed because I needed to raid the frig at the wrong moment? Thank God for instant replays!

So what was this "transfiguration?" Matthew and Mark concentrate on His face. Matthew mentions His clothing, and Luke only His clothing. They are comparing the light to the sun and a launderer's work at brightening clothing. Detergent manufacturers have been trying to duplicate this ever since. I heard a teeth brightening commercial recently that speaks of making these pearly whites six shades brighter in just five minutes per day. We want brighter in less time, and cheaper. I Corinthians 15 talks about our transformation in a moment, the twinkling of an eye. This is changing of our bodies to immortal ones. But, what of spiritual transformation? 2 Corinthians 3 tells us about that, and it is not instantaneous. It is from one degree of glory into another as we behold as in a mirror the face of Jesus. Based on the glow of Moses' face on his mountain 15 centuries earlier, we reflect the glory of the Lord.  But what if we are asleep? How can we grow if we are asleep? How can we change if physical rest is more important to us than transfiguration. For me my disfiguration needs some transfiguration.

After almost three years, 36 months, 252 weeks, about 1700 days, about that many hours, I am beginning to experience transformation. Each day I sit here and look into the sun-glowing face of Jesus as one might go to the beach to sit in the sun for a tan. The rays from His face fill my mind and heart. I think. I concentrate. I search. I ask questions. I struggle with words. I consider why Jesus did this or that or said this or that, and not something else. I stare and gaze upon the beauty of the Lord (Psa.27:4) in His temple. Little by little, step by step, I feel my body, soul, and spirit being healed, transformed, and integrated into a wholeness, and I am more and more at peace. Forgive the "i's" in this section, but if transfiguration is going to occur in me and you, we have to put the self into it. I must be awake, paying attention, listening intently, and absorbing Him, His words, His actions, His character, His beauty. Yes, "Let the Beauty of Jesus Be Seen In Me." "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from your deadness (and sleep) and let Christ shine on you" to paraphrase Paul (Eph.5:14). My morning alarm which signals me to meet with Jesus is preparing me for the last alarm, the trumpet blast, that will signal me to meet with Him in the air, and forever be with Him through blessed eternity.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I wonder if the "lost week" involved something exhausting. Climbing a mountain and fasting, perhaps? Jesus was so disciplined. He was always traveling on foot healing people and teaching, and then he'd stay up all night to pray. No wonder the disciples were exhausted, but he kept going.

    ReplyDelete