Friday, March 22, 2013

Our Position

If we take Luke's text of Jesus' response to Peter, delivered to the apostles and the crowd, we will have the most complete rendering (Luke 9:23). There are phrases I fear I run over too quickly and do not really see for what they are. All Jesus' words are important, and I think He said it just as He wanted it said. I have often wondered why we have the doctrine of this and that, and not other things. Well today we might look at the doctrine of coming after Him. This phrase "coming after" could mean two very different things. If I say to someone, "Come after me," I might mean "Come get me or catch me," like children playing a game of chase.  But, Jesus meant, "Position yourselves behind me" like a guide taking us through a dangerous jungle might say. Our position is behind Him. In some cultures women must walk behind a man to show their submission. Someone trying to protect another person might say "Stay behind me." There is a sense in which we at times walk WITH Jesus or BESIDE Jesus, but here it is BEHIND Jesus. Peter gets it by the time he writes his book. He states it this way: "For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps." Read his book. He outlines what that means in many situations of life. I cannot follow in one's steps if I am not behind them. The woman who anointed Jesus' feet was behind Him (Luke 7:38). John heard a voice like a trumpet coming from behind him (Rev.1:10). When fleeing from a doomed Jerusalem don't fall behind (Matt.24:18). And, don't be like Lot's wife looking at the things behind.

Jesus gives three meanings to coming after Him. They are: 1) Self-denial; 2) Daily cross bearing; 3) Following. Let's look at the first one. The word deny is used in a negative and positive sense, and they are mutually exclusive. The negative is denial of Christ and what His will is. Jesus told Peter that he would deny Him three times before the rooster crowed. (Matt.26:34,35) Peter claimed it would never happen. It did, and right on cue. His denial consisted of saying that he did not know Jesus. This proved his double-mindedness because Peter was the very one who confessed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Peter boasted that he would following Christ even to the point of laying down his life for Him (John 13:36-38). He did both. In this same vein, Jesus says that the one who denies Him before men, He will deny before the angels in heaven (Luke 12:9).

The positive sense of denial is self-denial, meaning we disregard all personal interests and enjoyments for higher interests and enjoyments. Someone has to get their way, and we are "behind." Jesus has His agenda, His mission, His course, His goal, His purpose, His way. We are "behind." His is great, worldwide, all consuming, all inclusive of life. It cuts in many directions. Self-denial means much more than just giving up stuff. It means actively pursuing His lead. In recent days I have been admonished not to work so much, to pursue things I enjoy, especially at my advanced age! I will not argue that I am "balanced." I do enjoy bug-collecting, guitar playing, reading a good-no purpose-book, and I do these things some. But, my commission is to fall in behind Jesus and to deny myself. And it is not my pace. It is His. So when the call comes in to serve, and when I believe it is an opportunity to serve Him, what am I to do? What are you to do? My position is "behind." If He leads me to a place of rest, and sometimes He does, then I am to follow. But, if He leads for days and days into areas of service for the sake of the kingdom, then there I must go. That's my position.

No comments:

Post a Comment