Thursday, February 7, 2013

Tradition

The Challenger Deep study is moving to a new section of the life of Christ (John 7:1; Matt.15:1-20; Mark.7:1-23). In some ways I am reluctant to be led there. Though "tradition" is not inherently a bad word, it can accumulate a lot of baggage, and I (and you) are not immune from it. Tradition can be and often is a barrier to a pure understanding of Christ and His teachings. Living out the spirit and intent of the Law is harder to do than living out the jot and tittles of the Law. It is easy to grab a teaching, put my mark on it, codify it, and apply it in a certain way, and make my brand the exclusive brand. It is like wheat. Wheat is wheat. But, what happens when I take the wheat in my hand and mix it with my secret ingredients, produce a recipe, bake it up, and tell you this is true bread. Any other formula is inferior bread, thought the essential ingredient is still wheat. The thing we have to be careful of is changing the essential ingredient by adding another ingredient in such a way that renders the essential ingredient no longer effective.

Jesus is still in Galilee because he knows they are looking to kill him in Judea. A delegation of Pharisees and scribes come north to see him. They have a critical and burning issue to discuss with Him. This is serious stuff. It could sink His entire ministry. It could bring the plan of God to a screeching halt. This issue is so earth shattering that Jesus' whole plan is in jeopardy. What could be so serious to warrant such a meeting. Here it is. They observed some of His disciples failing to wash their hands before they ate. Yep. That's it. I told you this was serious. I told you this could alter the course of the world. Unwashed hands. Now there is an issue! Really? Are you serious? They traveled 50 miles in two days to discuss THIS? I guess you had to be there in their shoes to understand why this was so important to them. Their well-being was wrapped up in keeping the traditions. Did you hear me. Their well-being, their sense of homeostasis, their being OK and feeling secure was tied to hand-washing before eating. It reminds me of those who have OC tendencies, i.e. Obsessive Compulsive tendencies. Some have to touch lampposts, or not step on cracks in the sidewalk, or check the iron ten times before leaving home. I am not making fun. This is a serious disorder and can be enslaving and crippling. I have great sympathy for folks who have it. I had dear friend in Boca Raton who had this disorder. Jeff would sometimes sit for hours outside my office running through routines in his head before he could come in to talk with me, and when he did it was grueling to watch him try to communicate.

Here is what I think is the critical matter here (and we will discuss this further), i.e. that traditions become harmful when our sense of well-being is bound to them. Jesus came to teach us that our well-being, which he calls Eternal Life (Zoe), is bound to His work and His gift. When we think our eternal life is dependent on the dotting of a "i" and the crossing of a "t" spiritually, then we have missed the essence of eternal life. Chew on that as we will explore together this section of Challenger Deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment